Monday, November 25th, 2013
Let your ears rejoice to the stirring sounds of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra! This season’s musical adventures include:
- Masterworks A and Masterworks B which includes:
- A new composer-focused festival with a fresh look at Tchaikovsky;
- James Ehnes with Khachaturian;
- Verdi Requiem conducted by German Andreas Delfs and an all-star cast;
- José Luis Gomez, a product of Venezuela’s El Sistema program, as a featured guest conductor;
- Mahler’s Symphony No. 4 and Bruckner 8; and
- A Carnegie Hall program with Dame Evelyn Glennie.
- For Sci-fi fans, George Takei is coming to town for an exciting Pops show featuring the music of Star Trek. Other Pops performances include the music of James Bond, American Idol’s Lakisha Jones and back by popular demand are the Peking Acrobats with an incredible new show.
- The popular, Soundbytes series continues to grow with another acclaimed Chicago Symphony Orchestra: Beyond the Score® presentation, this time highlighting Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition. A Prairie Christmas Celebration and a silent movie night showcasing the epic Metropolis round out this series.
- And for families, the Concerts for Kids series is designed to engage and entertain concert-goers of all ages in order to inspire a lifetime of enjoying orchestra music!
When I’m conducting, it’s all about real tangible feeling… from the rush of the wildest roller-coaster ride all the way to the most peaceful and serene state of mind coming out of deep meditation. No movies, paintings or books have as strong an impact on me as live music! —Alexander Mickelthwate, WSO Music Director
September 2013 to June 2014
Centennial Concert Hall, Winnipeg
For more information and to find tickets, visit WSO or call the box office at 204-949-3999.